Saturday, January 20, 2007

I've been thinking about the question Holly asked yesterday:

"When you go round and round, why does gravity go sideways?"

As I lay in bed last night I tried to work out the answer (I didn't even try to answer yesterday because she immediately followed up the question by saying "Oh! I'm dizzy!" and falling over.)

I mulled it over, trying to work out just why gravity does 'go sideways', trying to remember what I learned at school about Inertia, Centrifugal Force, and all that other stuff - conjuring up in my mind images of buckets of water being swung round people's heads on the end of ropes, and, for one brief, glorious moment, fully understanding the concept of Angular Momentum (though I may have been asleep at this point and only dreamt it) it occurred to me that I want to be a dad like Richard Feynman's dad or Jenny Eclair's. Both apparently answered this sort of question by saying "I don't know, let's find out." Feynman was hooked and went on to win of the 1965 Nobel Prize for Physics, Eclair became the first female to win the Perrier Award at the Edinburgh Comedy Festival - because after thirty seconds she would just scream "Dad, put down the boiled eggs and the paper clips - and just tell me the answer!"

I may want to be a Feynman dad but are my kids Feynman daughters?






My will power is being tested to breaking point! My New Year's resolution:
I Will Stop Watching (so many)* Crap SF Movies This Year"
is being weakened by knowing that THIS is loose in the world.



Nightmare Worlds. Another DVD boxset from Brentwood containing 50 SF movies so bad no one thought it was worth renewing the copyright - many of which I have never even heard of let alone seen like:

Evil Brain from Outer Space, Prisoners of the Lost Universe, Purple Death from Outer Space, and Atomic Rulers of the World.

Woohoo! This is Grade A, finestkind, movie-crap paydirt!

I so want this boxset. The last boxful of mindbogglingly awful dross in this series kept me entertained for weeks, (I'm still not sure I have watched them all yet - there are just so many badly dubbed Italian "Hercules" movies any one person can watch before organ failure sets in - and since the organ in question is the brain, and I occasionally need mine for other things like keeping my hat warm, I would be loath to part with it.)

This new box has got fewer muscle-men movies than the last but It has got the 1925 version of The Lost World in which Sir Arthur Conan Doyle appears as himself! - and Radio Ranch! - a feature length version of the Phantom Empire chapterplay which has Gene Autry and his singing cowboys battling an underground civilization bent on world conquest! and...

No!...

Must resist!


...walling up computer behind an impenetrable wall of Kurosawa videos...


...get thou behind me eBay...






*The First Amendment to the Resolution (made on January the 4th)

1 comment:

Phoebe J. Southwood said...

All in favor of the First Amendment?
Nay! NAY! nay! NO!

The 'Nays' have it!

JUST SAY NO LIAM!!!!

(So when you get the box set, you can crumble into depravity with more verve)

Missing CD? Contact vendor

Free CD
Please take care
in removing from cover.

Copyright (c) 2004-2007 by me, Liam Baldwin. That's real copyright, not any 'creative commons' internet hippy type thing.

(this copyright notice stolen from http://jonnybillericay.blogspot.com/)

eXTReMe Tracker