Monday, May 24, 2010

Commercial Break

I've decided it's about time I joined the rest of the Twentieth Twenty-first century and carry advertising on this blog. One of the joys of reading all the crappy old SF books and magazines that I do is the adverts. They are, more often than not, a lot more interesting than the stories next to them.

Ferristance: turn this bloody dreadful 1950 front cover

And you will find this:


(Just to save your eyes, I've typicated it all out:

I.B. Am-bou-i

WILL SHOW YOU HOW TO

MAKE MONEY BY GROWING BAMBOO
Have You a garden
or Even a Back Yard?

WOULD YOU LIKE £1,000 A Year?
Then send me a 6d stamp1 and a large S.A.E. and I will send you a copy of that enthralling story "In the Cornish Jungle" demonstrating how you can get an income of £1,000 per annum growing these pretty plants. They work for you whilst you sleep or go on holiday. They still work for you on Christmas Day and Bank Holidays2. Why not turn your garden hobby into a profit? You who are reading this can start in your own garden NOW, and extend later when you are convinced.3
On the 28th Oct 1948, Mr Nisbet Cunningham of Lanarkshire, Scotland, wrote to say "the success of last year's clump of canes warrants the purchase of another. Enclosed find cheque etc.4"

Write: I.B. Am-bou-i care of

BRITISH BAMBOO GROVES, LTD5.,
37 Lanivet, Bodmin
Cornwall.

The SECRET OF THE EAST
LAID BARE TO WESTERN EYES
6

--------CUT ALONG DOTTED LINE --------



1 For younger listeners I should point out that '6d' means 'sixpence' in pre-decimal money. It's not some strange request for a multi-dimensional postage stamp.

2 But not Yom Kippur

3 By annexing your neighbours' gardens!

4 "... and my wife's run off with a door to door shoe salesman; I think he's a Martian. Do you like the green ink? I make it myself from the saliva of baby monkeys...

5Who, curiously, have not filed any papers with Companies House recently.

6 Is it my imagination or does this sound pervy to you too?


Now for the ad...

Yes! You too can own this remarkable piece of 1950's junk memorabilia in the privacy of your own home! Just visit my eBay page and bid bid bid! You know it makes sense.

No comments:

Missing CD? Contact vendor

Free CD
Please take care
in removing from cover.

Copyright (c) 2004-2007 by me, Liam Baldwin. That's real copyright, not any 'creative commons' internet hippy type thing.

(this copyright notice stolen from http://jonnybillericay.blogspot.com/)

eXTReMe Tracker