Friday, May 03, 2013

Nostalgia Part 2:

Posted the other day about how much I hate nostalgia or at least I think I did.  I can't seem to find the post.

Anyway...

In bed with the lurgi yesterday I spent a lot of time propped up on pillows doing my best to look wan and interesting - and as ill as I felt. I always feel such a fraud when I'm not well.  After a while I got bored with looking as pathetic as I could so I started reading Roger Fulton's massive Encyclopedia of TV Science Fiction, and marvelling at the vast number of long forgotten television sf shows that had been made over the years.  Some I was familiar with: Baylon 5, Star Trek, Quatermasses, Doctor Who, some I had heard of but never seen: Quark Space Rangers, some I had never heard of but wished I had seen like Star Maidens (Anlgo-German SF comedy), and some I had heard of seen but wish I hadn't: Lexx, The Starlost, Jason of Star Command, Jupiter Moon etc. and then... and then... and then I came to Phoenix Five, a cheapo sixties Australian Star Trek knock-off.  And I was suddenly awash with nostalgia. Pure grade A finest-kind pure uncut nostalgia. My god! Phoenix Five!  I hadn't thought about Phoenix Five in years....  suddenly I was seven again.  Non-specific warm cuddly deja vu washed all over me.  How the hell could I have forgotten Phoenix Five?

I pulled out my phone and went searching on Youtube:




Five minutes later I'm totally baffled.  I've never seen this before in my life.  I have no recollection of this at all. Total Blank. I had never seen an episode of Phoenix Five - I was suffering from Mistaken Nostalgia.

 I came to the conclusion that I didn't need to fake it.  I was iller than I thought.


No comments:

Missing CD? Contact vendor

Free CD
Please take care
in removing from cover.

Copyright (c) 2004-2007 by me, Liam Baldwin. That's real copyright, not any 'creative commons' internet hippy type thing.

(this copyright notice stolen from http://jonnybillericay.blogspot.com/)

eXTReMe Tracker