Monday, August 28, 2006

The Scaffolding is away! The end of the house doesn't look like a disaster/lawsuit waiting to happen! I am so happy! (I haven't had the bill yet!) I will continue to be happy till I do!

We went to Oban on Saturday to buy stuff; food mainly, and kids clothes. Merriol foolishly let me out of her sight (or vice versa) because I succumbed to my lack of willpower and bought LPs.
For months now I have manfuly resisted looking through the tatty boxes of tatty Bert Kaempfert, James Last and Sidney Devine albums that lie on the floor in every charity shop I go into. I do not need any more crappy LPs. I don't. I have 600+ of the things I never listen to as it is. I don't need any more and I had thought that was one strand of my Junkaholism that I had conquered. (I just download crappy albums now and clog up the hard drive with MP3s I never listen to).

On Saturday my curosity got the better of me and I peeked into a box - and ended up buying: a Talking Heads album I had never heard of, but probably already own, a KC and the Sunshine Band album, and something which may (or may not) turn out to be orchestrial Ragtime - I couldn't work out what the hell it was from the sleeve notes but it was in pristine condition (always a bad sign- means it was played once and then ignored for years) - and it was only 50p.

I hid them in the back of the car and met up with Merriol in Tesco's. Merriol in my absence had bought twice her own body weight in yogurt. When we got back to the car she spotted the LPs (my cunning tactic of hiding things in plain sight, as if they had been there for ages and were therefore not worth commenting upon, obviously needs some revision).


Merriol:
What are those?

Me:
Erm... LPs - three of them.

Merriol:
You've already got over six hundred!

Me:
Well... Well... Well now I've got over six hundred and three!


(Well that's what I should have said. In reality I think I just mumbled something about them "only being fifty pence each" and continued stacking crates of Yoplait into the boot.)

Anyway. The whole point of this is that I managed to get to play the KC and the sunshine Band album this afternoon. Holly was at school; Daisy was taking a nap. I put it on as I was doing the laundry. There I was hanging up socks and knickers in the drying room singing along, belting out
"Hey, hey, hey/Yeah/Babe, I love you so/I, I want you to know/That I'm going to miss your love/The minute you walk out that door/So please don't go/Don't go/Don't go away/Hey, hey, hey/I need your love/I'm down on my knees/Beggin' please, please, please..."
and I'm giving it the full pub karaoke adenoidal welly when I notice Daisy has woken up from her nap on the sofa (not suprising really) and she is giving me... The Look. The "Dad, what ARE you doing?" look. This suprises the hell out of me. I mean she's only two. She shouldn't know about The Look at two! She could at least have had the decency to wait till she was a spotty teenager and I was dancing at a wedding with her boyfriend's mum or something really awful before discovering how to do The Look. I may have to stop listening to music around the kids altogether - though Holly does like The Scissor Sisters and Moby. There is hope for me yet.



No comments:

Missing CD? Contact vendor

Free CD
Please take care
in removing from cover.

Copyright (c) 2004-2007 by me, Liam Baldwin. That's real copyright, not any 'creative commons' internet hippy type thing.

(this copyright notice stolen from http://jonnybillericay.blogspot.com/)

eXTReMe Tracker